Welcome to my blog, please take a seat, and enjoy !

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Effective Teaching"

WeLcoME ... 
AS I attend class yesterday I ponder as to what my "Ed. Psych Assignment" ,no scratch that, I mean  my "Blog World" will consist of.


Well thats easy...
What makes Effective teaching? (In my eyes)...
hmm well lets see there is all the 6 points we went over in class from... ughhh.. what were they again.... OH YA...


Social & Ethical Matters


Subject matter competence 


Involving multicultural students


Professional Growth (including...positive self identity, life long learning, seeking advice,resources                    
                            & support)
Professional Skills (Instructional strategies, Goal setting, Motivational skills, Communication Skills, 
                         classroom management, technology skills (duhhh), and working well with 
                         students from ethnic backgrounds)


and last and I believe the very most important factor we learned about effective teaching...


Commitment!!!!
                                       Commitment in planning fun and rewarding..
                     



                                        as well as in 










                                           and 










As I sit here and reflect my own personal favourite teachers growing up from my Gr.2 teacher Mrs.Stewart, to my gr.5/6/7 teacher Mrs.Spaeti, and to even a woman who was never my own teacher ,but one to my older brother, and a fan favourite amongst the school, grade 3 taught by Mrs.Reid aka my grandmother! All of these wonderful women have qualities and traits that I to wish to capture when I'm a teacher. I remember starting in grade 2, while having the same teacher as the previous year, Mrs.Stewart and I had quite a bond. She was always full of fun and games and made learning our ABC's a  "cinch".


She always had a positive attitude towards us grade 2's, and spent allot of her extra personal time helping with extra curricular activities with the school, when I left her class that year she personally gave me a present I still cherish to this day. A ceramic elephant. "Elephants never forget" 


Mrs.Spaeti, Mrs.Spaeti, Mrs.Spaeti.... 


where to begin.. her crazy name, first stood out to me while fresh out on the scene of grade.5
If all you readers can imagine a 5 foot 2 stout woman with deeply tanned skin and crazzzzzyyyy curly short "spaghetti" hair. WILD. Beyond her image was the most passionate teacher for learning. Not only did she reward us kids with candy and a points system (The Point System is when we answered a question correctly she would either give us 2-5 points sometimes 10!!. We would all have a "Spaeti bank account" , once a month there would be an auction of prizes where we could use our points for the goods!! From chocolate bars, to sparkly notepads ,Mrs.Spaeti's auction was "the bomb"), She also from time to time had the mother load of all prizes...The one where any of us kids would give up anything for it....what is it you may ask....
Free Mcdonalds happy meal! that's right you read that correctly. She would have the student who either improved the most during the month or helped with the school somehow, and that student would be treated to lunch of his/her choice. When the lunch bell rung she would hop in her white truck and bring us back the greasiest (but at that time to us was delicious) lunch ever. I had her for 3 years until I ventured off into high school.
She had the best sense of humour, explained things clearly, treated us like adults, and always considerate of our feelings. I never realized it till after I left Philip Sheffield Elementry of how much of an impact she made on me. She will forever have a special place in my heart.


the last lady that made a dent in my career path is none other than my grandma... Mrs.Lorna Reid.
The one who inspired me to teach, and the one to whom I most look up to. She is now retired after 30 some years of teaching, and dedicating her life to children across BC. I remember playing at grandma's house with a chalkboard and pretending to my stuffed animals  and perhaps even my brother at times were my students and that I was in charge! With the great ability to teach any child she may encounter, She is definitely someone I want to take after. The most kind-hearted,strong, understanding,patient, knowledgeable woman I know to this day. All the qualities listed above of what a effective teacher looks like, is her.


I want to inspire
I want to ignite a passion
I want to become the best of the best
Effective teaching for me is all of those and much more than we can fathom. It takes time and a whole lotta heart :)


                                             


                                                          e.lizalou































2 comments:

  1. WOW...
    Yes, as you recalled those VERY special moments, I was sitting here, with both a smile, and a tear. I am SO pleased to know that you had such a close bond with each of these inspiring women. My dream for you sweetie, would be, that in the years to come, it is YOU who has earned the title of "my FAVORITE teacher"....and knowing the woman you have become, this is one dream that is sure to come true OVER and Over.
    ....xoxo...mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh mom making me blush in my sociology class :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete